India Business Immigration

Our Asia Pacific office, based in India, helps businesses who need to move employees in and out of India expediently, effectively and with optimal compliance. As the world’s largest exporter of professional manpower across the globe, the majority of our India business immigration clients require assistance in helping employees migrate out of India. Our team members are also adept at helping clients move employees into the country.

The Indian immigration system can be extremely complex and has higher risk factors in comparison with many other countries around the globe. Therefore, the experience, expertise and considerable skills of Ferguson Snell’s India-based business immigration team are invaluable to businesses seeking a seamless immigration process for their employees.

The Ferguson Snell approach to business immigration is highly personalised and will vary for each corporate client according to their requirements. We offer direct, end-to-end services to help organisations seeking the following for their employees:


All foreigners (including foreigners of Indian origin) visiting India for more than 180 days must register with the Foreigners’ Regional Registration Officer (FRRO). The terms and restrictions associated with the Foreigners’ Registration Officer (FRO) vary depending on the applicant’s nationality. Some visas require FRRO registration for stays of less than 180 days. When an immigrant leaves India for good, the certificate should be surrendered in line with Indian legislation. Services includes- registration, extension, change of conditions, new born baby addition, exit permit etc

Indian Business Visas

An Indian Business visa can be granted for single or multiple entries to the country. It allows applicants to travel to India for purposes such as business meetings, conferences or negotiations but does not allow the employee to work within the country.

Employment Visa – Indian Work Permit

An Indian Work Permit, also known as an Employment visa, is endorsed on passports as an E-visa. The E-visa allows foreign nationals to undertake employment in India and is granted for an initial period of 6-12 months, although this is extendable for a period of up to 5 years. This visa category is granted to professionals filling specific skilled/management job roles and earning a minimum of $25,000 USD (subject to taxes in India). Dependants are allowed to obtain entry visas, known as an X-visa or dependant visa, which expires at the same time as the main applicant’s E-visa. Individuals in the country on an X-visa/ dependant visa are not allowed to take up any employment in India, but are able to enrol in educational establishments.

Journalist Visa

All professional journalists and photographers who wish to travel to India for any reason, including tourism or to attend a conference, are required to obtain a Journalist J-visa. However, foreign journalists, intern journalists and trainees coming to India to work within an Indian media organisation will require an Employment E-visa.

J-visas granted to professional journalists and photographers are valid for up to a 3 month stay in India. This visa is extendable to up to 12 months while in India; the extension must be awarded via direct orders issued by the MEA (Ministry Of External Affairs) via the MHA (Ministry of Home Affairs) with the directive to FRRO/FRO. This clause of extension is applicable to foreign journalists accredited to the Press Information Bureau.

Permanent Residency Options

Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

The Overseas citizenship of India (OCI) category allows Persons of Indian Origin who have obtained citizenship of another nation to acquire long-term residency to remain in India. However, this should not be mistaken for dual citizenship as Indian law does not support dual citizenship. In addition to the benefits of a PIO, OCI cards are granted for life and allow visa-free travel with multiple entries for any duration of stay in India without registration with any authority in India. The spouse of an OCI holder is not, however, automatically eligible for the same status.

Permanent Residency Options

  • Assistance towards legalization and attestation of documents.
  • Obtaining Tax Card (Permanent Tax Card- PAN)

Outbound Services >

Team based in India do specialize in extending outbound services- such as work permits (Long Term and Short Term), arranging umbrella services- work permits, payroll management, tax etc, business visas, global advisory, legalization, attestation, payroll management, consulate assistance to over 74 countries across the globe.

For more information about our business immigration services in and out of India Contact us